Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day 1 in Kenya

When booking the flight, I knew the one hour connection time in Heathrow would be tight but it was the only flight choice available since the booking was done a week in advance.

After rushing through the airport, or aiming to as the security lines were backed up, the flight was delayed - the pilot did not feel that he could continue with the scheduled flight. It was nice to have some time to stretch my legs and check out what Heathrow’s Pret was offering (Chicken Raita wrap + Lychee Mandarin juice) but at the same time my concern for 11 pm arrival in Nairobi was looming over my head.

The flight was packed, mainly with Brits. Customs and luggage pick up was smooth. FYI – getting your visa on arrival is pretty seamless, dependent on the line. I got mine in NYC which was also a breeze (after they opened the door to the consulate which took about 45 minutes, long story). The arrivals area was well lit, with many people waiting for their loved ones and a line of drivers with signs. I scanned the sea of Kenyan men to find my ride, he wasn’t there so I took a seat at the cafĂ© and hoped for the best. After 15 minutes, I made my way back to the line and found him. We arrived at the hotel 30 minutes later, where they searched the vehicle (under the hood and trunk). Quickly went through security check for the bags and checked in.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad your reaction to not finding your driver at first was sitting down and trying again after a bit. Mine would have = panic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Take the AKASH. You made your connection. WOOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pret is probably one of the best things about Heathrow! Well that and all the good chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete