Monday, October 21, 2013

Day 3: Nairobi to Kisumu to Sindo

For the next 7 working days, I’ll be working with the honey social enterprise. The first 3 days will be in rural Kenya as we felt that a field visit was critical to better understand the company and that the data that all of the reporting focuses on. As today is a holiday, we took full advantage of spending the full day traveling to Western Kenya.

The Head of Field Operations (HFO) and another mgmt. team member picked me up at 6 am, to head over to the local bus depot. HFO called “his guy” and we got three tickets to the bus from Nairobi to Kisumu (7 hour ride). The HFO and I got acquainted and debriefed on the organization and my project.  After lunch (and some internet time before rural Kenya), we rented a car, had some car trouble which we worked through just in time to drive onto the last ferry. We backed the car in and got out to enjoy the beautiful Kenyan sunset!


After arriving in Sindo, we had an adventurous ride through the dark and bumpy roads. Thirty minutes and several GPS location checks later, we found our contact and checked into the local guesthouse. We grabbed dinner which involved a walk down dark village roads and the perfect opportunity to use my manager’s LED keychain (thanks C!)) It was a long day and one which allowed me to transition into local time, 7 hour time gap conquered! Off to learn about field operations tomorrow.
my 800 KES room

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunset picture...stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. And you get to sleep under a net! I always wanted one of those on my bed.

    ReplyDelete