Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 2 in Kenya: Switch hotels and debrief

Late check-out followed by a quick ride to the next hotel. The taxi stand inside the hotel mentioned a rate of 2000 shillings (80 KES to 1 USD) which is an outrageous cost for a 2 km/5 min ride. Once we arrived I asked for a receipt to which he responded he had no receipt pad. I asked for the fare and he said that he was told that they had told me. I asked him to call the hotel to check the rate, he said his phone had no credit. Hm. We settled on 1000 KES, later finding out that it should have cost 400 KES. Bamboozled yes but instead of 5x as much, more around 2x. It happens. The driver promised to drop off a receipt (and change if he found out the fare was too much). We will see!

The Country Lodge – my mainstay for the two weeks – is nice and connected to the lovely Fairview Hotel which has 5 restaurants and a pool. I’ll be spending most of my evenings at their garden cafĂ©.
Met with the water social enterprise’s main contact to debrief on the project which I’ll be working on for three days + post return to NYC. My goal is to interview clients and sales managers to come up with a Client Engagement Process. Earlier in 2013, they launched a retail storefront and sales program to sell drinking water in a low income neighborhood. At around 500 subscribers, they are in need of a consistent approach to maintain contact with their client base.

No comments:

Post a Comment